Monoposto, should it expand?

For all Monoposto Club Matters
Vincent Fox

Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby Vincent Fox » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:54 am

Monoposto seem to have been one of the few series to have increased grid sizes over the last two years. Obviously good governance has been a major factor. I wonder if Mono as a club should not expand and invite other types of cars into its club. Some sort of sports cars or tin tops? The extra grids would increase monoposto's bargaining power when negotiating track time and race schedules.

Obviously there is a need to be clever about this and not try and attack other established clubs but I suspect there is merit to this idea and looking at series like semsec saloon and sports car championship might be a clue. I mean how many times can a person want to race at Lydden?

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby AndyY » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Mono 3000? for all those BOSS & EuroBoss racers who don't seem to able to organise themselves without falling out with each other.

Combine with Irish F Libre

There must be hundereds of F3000 cars waiting to be raced by idle oil traders bored of counting their cash piles (or just their piles).
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

Vincent Fox

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby Vincent Fox » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I think you are right. Two of the clubs recent past members are ex F3000 drivers (Mark Harison and John Hanline) plus Chris Woodhouse has done Boss.

User avatar
phuston
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:58 pm
Location: North East

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby phuston » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:31 pm

This topic was discussed at the last directors' meeting, see abstract of the minutes on Startline. The initiative, it was an active initiative, appears to have foundered on the silencing regs. Most cars mentioned don't meet 108db...............and circuits have few >108db days available.

If we want three grids (it could bring problems), attracting more motorcycle engined cars may be the way to go.
Patrick H
Mono1800 Rep & Club Sec

User avatar
lee
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:56 am
Location: Nr Worcester

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby lee » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Vincent Fox wrote:I think you are right. Two of the clubs recent past members are ex F3000 drivers (Mark Harison and John Hanline) plus Chris Woodhouse has done Boss.



Francis Phillips is too. Raced in Boss and i believe the British F3000 series.

OH plus there is Colin Stone who has a Jordan F1 too.
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

User avatar
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby andrewcliffe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 am

Mono5000 using road derived normally aspirated V8's of up to 5 litre capacity or supercharged engines subject to a x1.4 equivalency factor.

or

Mono3500 using road derived engines of up to litre capacity (forced induction x1.4). Up to 6 cylinders in any configuration.

I would have thought it possible to get these to 105db

Oh, and permit rotary engines into Mono2000 or somewhere. Mazda RX8's are dirt cheap...
190 or 228bhp, lightweight, although possibly COG may be a little high, and the penalty is fuel consumption.
Last edited by andrewcliffe on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

User avatar
lee
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:56 am
Location: Nr Worcester

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby lee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:09 am

RedRedWine wrote:
lee wrote:
Vincent Fox wrote:OH plus there is Colin Stone who has a Jordan F1 too.


Is that the one Graham Hickman had a bad incident with at Shelsley?



No Tony. Its a Jordan 195 I believe. Ex Rubens/Irvine. Fitted with a V10 Peugeot engine.
Ex Magic Motorsports official 3rd and test driver.
The other 883 outright race winner......seems so long ago!
Lee Bennett

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby AndyY » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 am

Recreate a "F5000" type series with older F3000 tpe chasis fitted with Chevy LS7 engines or similar.
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

User avatar
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby andrewcliffe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:22 am

I read in Autosport about a fortnight ago that the Autosport Young Guns series, which was run for the first time this season, using JKS cars with Suzuki 750cc engines has decided to switch from JKS chassis to the old Formula BMW chassis for next season.

There is already a number of cars on the market for very little money - £ 12k for a 1 year old car with 6 races under its belt. Mono needs to get these cars on its grid.

How much longer can Formula Palmer Audi continue with the current car? The cars haven't changed much for a decade - ideal Mono3500 cars (1.8 turbo)
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

Vincent Fox

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby Vincent Fox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 am

I think the idea of a more powerful car series in Mono has merit. I'd be happy to race something a little faster, it may help cover up my shortcoming of talent.

I wonder if a supercharger would fit on a Toyota?

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby AndyY » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:08 am

Vincent Fox wrote:I wonder if a supercharger would fit on a Toyota?


It does on the Lotus 2-11, but that's not a 3S-GE
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

AndyY
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby AndyY » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12 am

andrewcliffe wrote:I read in Autosport about a fortnight ago that the Autosport Young Guns series, which was run for the first time this season, using JKS cars with Suzuki 750cc engines has decided to switch from JKS chassis to the old Formula BMW chassis for next season.

There is already a number of cars on the market for very little money - £ 12k for a 1 year old car with 6 races under its belt. Mono needs to get these cars on its grid.

How much longer can Formula Palmer Audi continue with the current car? The cars haven't changed much for a decade - ideal Mono3500 cars (1.8 turbo)


The future of FPA is up for discussion - it might not run in 2011; as for the Young Guns cars I'm not sure how there performance stacksupagainst the curent Mono 1000 cars but there might be some merit in Mono 750 class. If Mono doesn'tdo it smeone else (F4?) will.
Andy Yeomans - former Mono 1800 and 2000 racer (!?). Now CSCC and aspiring Clubmans racer.

User avatar
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby andrewcliffe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am

The new range of Elises and derivatives (except Evora) use the 1800cc Toyota ZZ series engine, often the 2ZZ-GE 190hp engine, sometimes with supercharger (with interesting packaging issues for a single seater application!) for 240-260bhp.

The engine that superseded the 3S-GE in F3 form was the 1AZ-FE, but Toyota don't offer a sporty road car using this engine and the boring road cars give 145bhp. Some cars competing in current Japanese F3 are still using the 3S-GE engine.

All road versions use variable valve timing.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

User avatar
samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: London

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby samier » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 am

andrewcliffe wrote:The new range of Elises and derivatives (except Evora) use the 1800cc Toyota ZZ series engine, often the 2ZZ-GE 190hp engine, sometimes with supercharger (with interesting packaging issues for a single seater application!) for 240-260bhp.

The engine that superseded the 3S-GE in F3 form was the 1AZ-FE, but Toyota don't offer a sporty road car using this engine and the boring road cars give 145bhp. Some cars competing in current Japanese F3 are still using the 3S-GE engine.

All road versions use variable valve timing.


The 2ZZ GE engine is already being used in a very competetive series in NZ, pushing around 220 bhp on Biofuel and using a Tatuus chassis.

User avatar
andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:33 am
Location: Norwich, UK
Contact:

Re: Monoposto, should it expand?

Postby andrewcliffe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:44 am

AndyY wrote:The future of FPA is up for discussion - it might not run in 2011; as for the Young Guns cars I'm not sure how there performance stacksupagainst the curent Mono 1000 cars but there might be some merit in Mono 750 class. If Mono doesn'tdo it smeone else (F4?) will.


Thruxton: Pole 1.18.4, dry, dry & sunny

Brands Indy: Pole 48.5, cloudy & light rain 46.6 in race, cloudy & dry

Snetterton: Pole 1:20.6 - damp, race 1.22.9 wet, 1.11.0 dry

Minimum weight of car & driver - 440kg
Dunlop slicks.

So, allowing for wind and other inexplicable reasons that makes a track quick one day, but slow the next despite it being quite nice, I reckon they'd fit into Mono1000 reasonable well, and a engine change to a 1000cc engine must be fairly easy.
Last edited by andrewcliffe on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog


Return to “Club Matters”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest