Newbie Alert

General Paddock Chatter
petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Newbie Alert

Post by petebee »

Hi all

I've been thinking about racing for a few years and never really got around to it but the time for me is now (or next season which seems more sensible...). After much saving and squirrelling I think I have enough to sort myself out with a car and the other essentials and having read through the forums I "think" ive got a good season covered (if I dont break something). Half way through sorting out the license and I've been think that mono is going to be the best place for me. I first checked out mono back in 97 and it seems a friendly and fun series then so I'm hoping it hasnt changed much. Can't remember the name of the lady who I had long phone chats with although I remember she lived on a canal boat and gave me lots to think about back then.

I am hoping to get along to Oulton next month (rather close, only a few miles aways) so was wondering if anyone would mind me asking them daft questions and getting pointers on getting started. I think the 1600's might be a great starting point but I know my old man hankers after the F3 cars and would love to talk me into the 2000's...

See you all soon

Peter

andrewcliffe
Respected elder statesman
Respected elder statesman

Re: Newbie Alert

Post by andrewcliffe »

No-one will mind you asking questions.

Buy the best car that falls in your budget (both to buy and to run) unless you are specifically after a project, be it a Mono2000 car, a Mono Classic car, an 1800, 1600 or bike engined car. There will always be someone to have a race against. Novices have jumped into all classes and done well - the cars with aero have an added layer of complexity but fairly easy to pick up.
Andrew Cliffe - Monoposto photographer - http://www.norwichphoto.co.uk & Racing Exposure - http://www.racingexposure.com/blog

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by triple j motorsport »

Have a look at Mono1800

Get a modern single seater year do you really want a 23 year old car and a 45 year old unreliable engine?

Have a look at our website http://formulafordzetec.co.uk/

I have a list of complete and rolling chassis forsale from £6K to £10K

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

Thanks for the offers, im looking forward to meeting you all at Oulton. Still undecided as to the class although the 1800 has it's appeal as I am familiar with the engine and im not a small person so something with a bit more umph will stop me being lapped by everyone else :lol:

Medical booked for tomorrow and then it'll be a quick call to the school to sort out the test and then im good to go (and sit at the back of the grid ).
#58 - Annoying the back of the 1600 grid.

triple j motorsport
Recovery
Recovery

Post by triple j motorsport »

If you need some unbias information regarding the FFZetecs for sale for mono1800 conact myself james or mark via the Formula Ford Zetec webiste http://formulafordzetec.co.uk/

We might know of other cars and engines for sale too.....

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

Hi Peter,
We're doing our first year in mono 1600 with a bog standard 1996 Ray FF kent, we're not on slicks, no idea how old the engine is, car cost roughly £6500 plus a trailer and doesn't look like a shed, we turn up and have a great weekends racing for little money (Compared to some series) everyone's very friendly and always there to help and give advice.
Get yourself along.
Tony. #47
oh, and i know where there is a very nice 1600 for sale for similar money with a better engine than our's. :)

driftwood
Marshal
Marshal

Post by driftwood »

I have the other Ray 92 FFord kent for sale ideal starter car £7k ideal for mono racing plus do the FFord events at Oulton FFord festival at Brands WHT end of season
If you want newer Fford I have RF200 Van Diemen i race at Brands i can sell new £4k motor 2 races only

IF you want F3 car my dallara 397 is for sale new everything the best car in paddock
only selling as I am getting my 2000 Dallara ready to race plus i want to buy pre 72 FFord

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

Damn Driftwood, how big is your garage? Ive convinced the wife to let me use all our double garage, but i think I could only get one car in there...

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

A very happy day, passed the ARDS. :)

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

well done! have you got yourself a car yet?

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

I am such a happy camper now. Have License, Car, Trailor, various things i need like jacks etc. Really looking forward to my first race, but quite scared of it too. Still going to come to Oulten to see how a race day runs then next outing will be with the car.

Almost forgot to say what I got. Its a 97 Ray 1800 zetec. Well chuffed.

foggy
Flag waver
Flag waver

Post by foggy »

Nice one, Ray Zetec will be fast, John W has a beautiful Ray zetec now with wings, come and say hello to us, we're #47 1600 in a 96 Ray.
Tony.

petebee
Recovery
Recovery

Post by petebee »

Cheers Foggy

I will come say hello. See you in Oulten.