ASI Startline Article

General Paddock Chatter
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award

ASI Startline Article

Postby tristancliffe » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:37 pm

I’m sure that engineers don’t get excited by a CNC machined part, where the machine keeps changing the tool, a block of aluminium goes in and a machined part comes out. In fact I know that at least one ex-Mono racer has a factory full of such kit. But to an outsider, this stuff is amazing.

I'm a self taught CAD designer, and I've had things made on CNC several times now (though I can't afford the machines myself, and have to make do with normal lathes and mills), and I'm still awe-struck by what they can make. Tiny single-piece turbines with complex curved flutes! Yes please. I have no need of them, but I'd put them on the mantlepiece. Any entire cylinder head make from a single piece of metal and a day in a machine? Would make a beautiful coffee table.

Perhaps if you use them, or their output on a daily basis you become used to what they can do. But I think most people in engineering or manufacturing cannot help but gawp open-mouthed at CNC CADCAM components.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Hasbeen
Flag waver
Flag waver

Re: ASI Startline Article

Postby Hasbeen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 am

Some members and former members were the lucky recipients of just such artistic artifacts. When, a few years ago the Cahmpionship was sponsored by Primrose Engineering each class champion was presented with a life size steering wheel trophy machined from solid billet. A visit to their works was fascinating and they produced some wonderful stuff for Cosworth and the then Jaguar F1 team.

Other engineering 'magic' that has 'blown my mind' - on a visit to Williams F1 we were shown how a CAD drawing could fire a laser into a vat of liquid resin and create a solid resin reproduction of the component for trial fitting to the car. Amazing stuff this engineering.
Re-living past glories.

TIGAMAN

Re: ASI Startline Article

Postby TIGAMAN » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi all,as I am the said cnc miller and ex mono member and mono 1800 champion I would like to comment.I have machined some of the most complex parts that F1 can dream up,the biggest problem is that if a designer can model it up on his CAD he expects you to be able to machine it! Where I am currently working (MICRO PRECISION LTD)as supervisor/programmer we make mainly aerospace components with a sprinkling of F1 work.I think that if you're an engineer and 'enjoy' your job you never get bored of new technology,we currenty have some great CAD/CAM software and 5-axis machining.

Happy New Year to you all,
i've just broken my arm falling off my push bike,that's how exciting my life is after mono.

Mark Drew.

Return to “Paddock Chatter”