Website additons

General Paddock Chatter
User avatar
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Norwich, Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Website additons

Postby tristancliffe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:24 pm

samier wrote:I keep hearing that there are people who are not computer literate, well that is unfortunate. I am not talking about driver profiles here.

What is the problem and objections in making a presentable website for the club? Can be a good selling point if everything is professionally done. I would have thought association with TRC would be more reason to do so?

Those who wish to live in Fred Flinstone times can do so! :wink:


You've mentioned before your feeling that the Mono website isn't 'professional'. I was just wondering what gives you that impression, whether or not you have examples of websites you've made, and what your take on a new site would be.

Whilst the current website isn't 'perfect', it's more than adequate, quick to load, and works with the majority of computers our membership is likely to be using. But I'm also aware that Stephen is playing with a CMS (Content Management System for those not of a geeky disposition - it basically allows you to simply write content, and let the design of the site adjust automatically) system.

However, as with all things in life, Stephen would probably benefit from seeing what other people would do regards website. So may I suggest you spend a few evenings knocking up a website that is 'professional', easy to maintain, and works happily on Windows 95 - Vista and various Mac browsers.

Some people want to remain in the stoneage, others are just a bit slow at adapting, or don't have the need to upgrade their computers more than once per decade. But as those people make up a majority of the club it would be foolish to make a modern website that takes those people half an hour to load.

I look forward to seeing your version of the Mono website Samier.

Edit: Just realised that sounds like I'm saying Stephen would benefit from copying others in everything he does. I didn't mean that, so don't read it that way. I meant that everyone usually benefits from seeing what other people do in similar circumstances and with similar constraints - not Stephen in particular!
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

Dave
Flag waver
Flag waver
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:09 am
Location: Bottesford North Lincs

Re: Website additons

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Forget driver profiles.
Forget driver experience.
Forget driver hometowns, favourite circuits, corners and colours etc.
I think it would be benificial to simply have a list of competing members for 2009.
A simple spreadsheet giving the class, the race number. the driver name, the chassis type and the year of manufacture.
If Andrew can add pictures of the cars from his what must be now a huge library then good.
As each new member joins or existing member re-joins all information required is with Simon.
In fact the photographs would be better after the first meeting to ensure they are the latest car, number etc.
This list would then be on the menu bar under drivers. Between News and gallery perhaps.
Prior to the snetterton meeting each member can check to see who's rejoined and what car they're driving. Is Michael Dale back. What class will Jeff Fern be in this year. Etc.
David Parkinson
1600. No 66

User avatar
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Norwich, Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Website additons

Postby tristancliffe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Exactly Dave. No need for any of the extra stuff, just the basic details all drivers have provided when registering for the championship.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

jmtechnical
Mechanic
Mechanic
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Website additons

Postby jmtechnical » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:52 pm

All

I will look into this to see if we can post them all (Data protection etc). We are looking at updating the site as Tristan says and Saminer is having a go at some stuff for it as has Tristan. We do have problems in that we can't just say stuff some for what some want. Yes we can all write the latest wizz bang stuff but it has to be user freindly and current. (For the record I keep hearing the TRC link. I don't find there website easy to use and read very nosiy as someone say's !!!! )
We all have different abilities and likes. For me this is what makes Mono so good in people and cars lets not forget that.

Can't you tell we ain't Racing roll on the first Race.

User avatar
broadside
Recovery
Recovery
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 pm
Location: Staffs

Re: Website additons

Postby broadside » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:47 pm

spbracing wrote:All

(For the record I keep hearing the TRC link. I don't find there website easy to use and read very nosiy as someone say's !!!! )

Glad you said that - I was looking to subscribe to the mag, but their website takes so long to load on my machine I gave up!
Graham P
Reynard 863 No17

User avatar
samier
Roaming Correspondent
Roaming Correspondent
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:06 pm
Location: London

Re: Website additons

Postby samier » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 pm

tristancliffe wrote:
samier wrote:I keep hearing that there are people who are not computer literate, well that is unfortunate. I am not talking about driver profiles here.

What is the problem and objections in making a presentable website for the club? Can be a good selling point if everything is professionally done. I would have thought association with TRC would be more reason to do so?

Those who wish to live in Fred Flinstone times can do so! :wink:


You've mentioned before your feeling that the Mono website isn't 'professional'. I was just wondering what gives you that impression, whether or not you have examples of websites you've made, and what your take on a new site would be.

Whilst the current website isn't 'perfect', it's more than adequate, quick to load, and works with the majority of computers our membership is likely to be using. But I'm also aware that Stephen is playing with a CMS (Content Management System for those not of a geeky disposition - it basically allows you to simply write content, and let the design of the site adjust automatically) system.

However, as with all things in life, Stephen would probably benefit from seeing what other people would do regards website. So may I suggest you spend a few evenings knocking up a website that is 'professional', easy to maintain, and works happily on Windows 95 - Vista and various Mac browsers.

Some people want to remain in the stoneage, others are just a bit slow at adapting, or don't have the need to upgrade their computers more than once per decade. But as those people make up a majority of the club it would be foolish to make a modern website that takes those people half an hour to load.

I look forward to seeing your version of the Mono website Samier.

Edit: Just realised that sounds like I'm saying Stephen would benefit from copying others in everything he does. I didn't mean that, so don't read it that way. I meant that everyone usually benefits from seeing what other people do in similar circumstances and with similar constraints - not Stephen in particular!




First of all I want to make it clear that I am not putting down anyone here or mocking the efforts made by those who contributed to the old website. I am sure it has been informative and served its purpose.

The current website looks like a 1998 geocities website, frames. All I am saying is that its time it is revamped, and I know Stephen is in the process of doing so. Apart from the visual side, updating must be a bit of a pain too, manually using an ftp client or uploading pages each time.

Tristan! You seem to be a "Mr perfectionist" in everthing you do, a flashy car, a nice enclosed race car pod, car always polished and cleaned, a flashy website I am sure you understand that presentation is important in what ever you do! Why did you use CMS for your own website? :roll:

I do know what a CMS system is, what the benefits are over a static website. This is not the time or place to discuss my past websites or my techincal expertise. First and foremost I am not a web developer or a graphics designer by profession, I deal with back end databases, servers, and networks.

I have knocked up a fully functional website in the space of a few days, I have used CMS on a few past websites which is why I am prepared to offer a help in hand. Stephen knows my thoughts on the matter and I have spoken to him.

Unless you are using a prehistoric version of IE that was packaged with the first release of Win 95 with out any java, active x support, then you will struggle to view many of todays websites. I know for a fact that a CMS site works on a Windows 95 machine with just a decent version of IE.

I think the minimum requirements would be the resolution, I undestand some would still have a 14" monitor using 800x600 resolution, and that would be catered for.

User avatar
tristancliffe
Lifetime achievement award
Lifetime achievement award
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Norwich, Norfolk
Contact:

Re: Website additons

Postby tristancliffe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 pm

samier wrote:a flashy car, a nice enclosed race car pod, car always polished and cleaned, a flashy website I am sure you understand that presentation is important in what ever you do! Why did you use CMS for your own website? :roll:


Look closer :D The car isn't flashy - we use duct tape to cover the gravel rash. The car pod isn't flashy - the door is currently held on with ally chequerplate! And the website certainly isn't flashy, as it's just a 'skin' over something very basic.

I used CMS (Joomla) because it's easier than having to create a website!!! Easy is the key. But it's been a pain getting it to work on all current browsers, let alone older ones. Just because frames are out of fashion doesn't mean there is much inherently wrong with them.

Anyway, enough of the geek talk, lets get back to the point in hand - driver listings! I suppose Simon (and Mary before him) computerises all the data, so it would just be a case, almost, of copy-pasting that spreadsheet or database into an html file in notepad.
Tristan Cliffe - MSV F3 Cup - Dallara F307 Image
Monoposto Champion 2008, 2010 & 2011 with a Reynard 883 and a Dallara F398, and F3 Cup and Team Champion 2012

jmtechnical
Mechanic
Mechanic
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:30 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: Website additons

Postby jmtechnical » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:55 pm

guys

As you both know it is in hand or should I say hands !!!. We are working on the list but as normal most of us drivers are slow getting things in. It maybe we have to wait till snett to get most as some will rejoin and enter inthe same breath or post .

As Tristan knows it is hard to get it to work with all browsers and screen sizes. We do have to thing of all. It will happen but only when right and tested.

And the site currently is dead easy to update in seconds as there is more than people can see in the code. I have even updated from mobile phone etc. But a CMS is on its way and even more so know we have found a nice racer look style. The aim is snett or just after if all goes will and gets approved by the testers (they know who they are!!!)


Return to “Paddock Chatter”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests